Thursday, April 26, 2012

Once a Week

Now that I'm officially in my post-Boston life, I've been a bit at a loss and I've decided that setting a few non-running goals might help with this. My first and most immediately goal centers around cooking and eating healthfully and also branching out with my cooking. So, with that, I decided to try cooking one NEW and HEALTHY recipe per week and reporting on the success or failure so that I can learn more and start growing as a cook.

Last night's new recipe was cumin-spiced fish tacos with avocado mango salsa and black beans from Cooking Light magazine. It was fairly easy and not too far off of what I normally cook and was really delicious too. I have been craving mexican food since coming back from Boston and I LOVE avocado, combined with trying to eat lighter and include more fish and this was perfect.



I charred the cumin seeds in a pan, then ground in my spice grinder along with the other spices, added minced garlic and spread onto the tilapia, which is cooked in a pan on the stove. The salsa was super easy to make and just involved a lot of chopping. I tried to follow the recipe exactly and measured everything out just as the recipe says, but next time would just wing it since any kind of salsa measurements are easy to eyeball. The black beans were just from a can but I feel like black beans are a must with tacos.

Overall, this was a great recipe and it passed the husband test who really enjoyed it! I'll definitely be making this one again!

No comments:

Post a Comment